– Tautology deals with the occurrence of two or more words with the same meaning in a sentence
Tautology is the concept that refers to the repetition of something. In this concept, it deals with the occurrence of two or more words with the same meaning in a sentence.
When this happens, only one of them would be meaningful and the other one would be made redundant.
Naijapr presents you with 10 common ones.
1) Incorrect: Sola, Stand up.
Correct: Sola, stand.
Note: When you ask someone to stand, the person would come up, not go down. Therefore, the “up” after stand is redundant. copyright. www.naijapr.com
2) Incorrect: The programme started at about 2:00pm.
Correct: The programme started at 2:00pm.
Note: Both “At” and “About” are prepositions and therefore cannot co-occur. Only use “About.”
3) Incorrect: Your notebook is at the extreme end of the table.
Correct: Your notebook is at the extreme of the table.
Note: Extreme and end are synonyms, so using the two would be wrong. Just use one.
4) Incorrect: He did not tell me a reason why he slapped me.
Correct: He did not tell me why he slapped me.
Note: Reason and why are synonyms. They should not co-occur in a sentence. Just pick one.
5) Incorrect: I want to invite you to the night vigil.
Correct: I want to invite you to the vigil.
Note: Vigil in this context is the one that takes place at night, so mentioning night is not necessary.
6) Incorrect: When I called her, she waved her hand to me.
Correct: When I called her, she waved to me.
Note: When you want to wave, it is your hand you use, not any other part of your body. Therefore, using “her hand” is not compulsory in that context.
7) Incorrect: He slapped me, so therefore, I will report him to the police.
Correct: He slapped me, therefore, I will report him to the police. copyright. www.naijapr.com
Note: Use just one out of the two.
8) Incorrect: I give you four extra more minutes.
Correct: I give you four more minutes.
Note: Extra and more refer to the same thing. Use only one of them to avoid repetition. copyright. www.naijapr.com
9) Incorrect: The food cannot be sufficient enough for us.
Correct: The food cannot be enough for us.
Note: Just use one out of the two. They mean the same thing.
10) Incorrect: It is a true fact that my husband asked me for a divorce.
Correct: It is true that my husband asked me for a divorce.
Note: A fact is always true, so there is no need to put true with it. copyright. www.naijapr.com