– Even intelligent people make them.
– It is not too late to correct them.
There are common errors people make that are related to nouns. Naijapr presents you with some of them.
1) Incorrect: My sister and I ate bread.
Correct: My sister and I ate a loaf of bread.
Note: Bread is an uncountable noun. We cannot say two breads, three breads but two loaves of bread, three loaves of bread. copyright. www.naijapr.com
2) Incorrect: I am having headache.
Correct: My head is aching or I have pains in my head.
Note: Headache is an abstract noun and is not possessive, one can only feel pains in the head.
3) Incorrect: I was careful right from the onset of the journey.
Correct: I was careful right from the outset of the journey.
Note: Outset means the beginning of something and it is used for something positive while onset is used for something negative.
4) Incorrect: It is my lucky.
Correct: It is my luck.
Note: Lucky is an adjective in this context, while luck is the noun. copyright. www.naijapr.com
5) Incorrect: Give me chalk.
Correct: Give me a piece of chalk.
Note: Chalk is an uncountable noun. One should not say one or two chalks.
6) Incorrect: I am going to pack my luggages and leave his house.
Correct: I am going to pack my luggage and leave his house.
Note: It should be noted that luggage does not take the finals’.
7) Incorrect: My names are Oladimeji Bankole Williams.
Correct: My name is Oladimeji Bankole Williams.
Note: Since the names belong to just one person, the singular form should be used. copyright. www.naijapr.com